I hardly consider myself a great world traveler, but I love to travel and have been to a lot of places considering I got a late start. Until my sophomore year in college, I’d been to a total of six states, all in the northeastern USA. Since then I’ve been working hard to make up for lost time.
Until the Covid-19 pandemic hit, I was constantly either on a trip or planning the next one. In 2019 I took a four-week tour to eastern Germany, Czechia, and Poland. In January 2020: a short getaway to Michoacán to see the monarch butterfly migration, and in February, a week-long tour to Cuba. But since then, I’ve been stuck at home, which isn’t a terrible thing, since my home is now a beautiful town in Mexico. But now that I’m vaccinated, I’m looking forward to being on the move again. In a few weeks I will embark on a ten-day road trip, and I have a trip to the Middle East that has been rescheduled twice and hoping will finally happen next February and March.
I am a retired software architect living the good life in Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico. One reason I chose this spot to retire is that it is close enough to an international airport that I can still get away for the travel I long to do.
When I’m not traveling, and when there isn’t a global pandemic, I can usually be found playing bridge at the Lake Chapala Duplicate Bridge Club, playing pub trivia, taking my dog for walks on the malecón, or enjoying the many fine restaurants in this community of about half locals and half expats from the US and Canada.
Ten facts about me
- I grew up in Massapequa, Long Island, New York State, United States of America.
- Until I was in college, I’d never been outside the northeast United States.
- Until I was in college, I’d never flown on an airplane.
- I was 25 when I went to a foreign country for the first time.
- I was 33 when I went to Europe for the first time.
- I’ve now been to all 50 of the United States, plus the District of Columbia.
- I’ve lived in 6 states in the USA.
- I’ve been in 31 countries on three continents.
- I current live in Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico.
- I hope to update #8 soon, but this damn pandemic…
Countries I’ve visited
(In chronological order)
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Costa Rica
These are the airports where I’ve landed or taken off, even if they were merely layovers on the way to somewhere else.